Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Movie Review: Princess and the Frog

Oh dear... I didn't save my review I wrote earlier. When I rewrite my entries, I feel that it is not as good as my first.

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of Disney animations/cartoons. I try my best not to miss any of their movies but I have to say, this time, it was not up to my expectation.

The Princess and the Frog is loosely based Grimm brother's fairytale, The Frog Prince which tells the story of a prince magically transformed into a frog. The magic spell can only be broken by a kiss from the princess.


In Disney's version, there's a twist whereby the heroine, Tiana gets turn into a frog instead when she kissed the prince. Click on the link for further details and spoilers.


Why was I disappointed with this movie? It feels so familar with similar scenes and styles that I feel Disney could do more. Try to check if you noticed any of these:

1. Beauty & the Beast

In the introduction scene of little Tiana and Charlotte who was playing together, there was a little tea party table with a teapot and a tea cup. Well, that's Mrs Potts and Chip from Beauty and the Beast (this appeared in another movie too) Feels like playing "Spot the hidden Mickey". Haha



2. Hercules

The day-dreaming song of Tiana's new restaurant in the future reminds me of the graphics and style of the song in the Disney movie, Hercules whereby the ladies were singing "Hero to zero" of a summary of how Hercules grew up and succeeded in defeated more monsters.


3. Aladdin

The float scene during Mardi Gras is reminescent of the arrival scene of Prince Ali in the movie Aladdin.



4. Jungle Book

Louis the Jazz-playing alligator strongly resembles Baloo of the Jungle Book.

What else did you notice that reminds you of the other Disney movies?

Personally, I didn't quite like the introduction of black magic and spirits in this movie as a children's movie. In fact, I find that there is no specific target group currently for Disney movies as it does not have lovable characters like those in Disney-Pixar animations or more interesting storyline for adults. A new thing to note that Princess Tiana is the first black Disney Princess.

Please buck up! I miss the magical world of Disney.

In short, I would not really recommend Disney fans to watch this in the cinema because non-fans have told me to wait for the DVD release. However, as devoted fans, go ahead and watch it for old-times' sake! :)

No comments: