Monday, April 05, 2010

Merry-Go-Round

Have you ever tried to stop and jump off the "merry-go-round"? Or have you paused a moment during one of the rounds?

I look at my life and find myself stuck to a routine akin to the rides on the merry-go-round. My rides are divided into 2 phases : work on weekdays and rest on weekend. Time passes in a whirl and the ride doesn't seem to stop. I find days and years passes even quickly during this ride. Why do I let 'busyness' and activities dictate my life?

As I reach another new decade in my life, I suddenly felt the age creeping up and realised why people get freaked out during birthdays. It's no longer about aging and having birthday gifts. It's about another life here with your loved ones.

Take a look around and you'll see other people are aging too. When was the last time you told your parents "I love you"? When was the last time you visited your brother? Or when was the last time you spoke to your sister after the last argument? Just to name a few examples.

I tried to recall the advice I told myself before I embarked on the adulthood of endless work and responsibilities. I try to jump off the merry-go-round to think of ways to make more sense to my life.

My advice to myself then:
1. Do not let work dominate your life
2. Get 3 types of hobbies - intellectual (e.g. learn languages), creativity (e.g. learn a music instrument)and physical (e.g. exercise - gym, sports, dance)
3. Do one new thing in a year that you've never done before.

I think that was all... can't recall the rest now. Now, I think I shall try to work on item 2 since ironically, last year I told myself to let work be first for now, since I've been taking it easy for the past few years.

So there I was, trying to ask my friends what new hobbies I should do to distract myself away from the merry-go-round? And the search goes on... I hope to decide on one soon before the ride ends. Wish me luck! ;)

No comments: