Sunday, March 14, 2010

Movie Review: Alice in Wonderland (spoiler alert)

Yay! I've managed to catch a movie I wanted to watch. Who doesn't know the story of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll? From chasing the rabbit and falling down the hole to meeting the Queen of Hearts who shouts "Off with his head"!

I've watched the movie by Tim Burton last weekend and find that it's made for a 3d movie with the setting and layering of the scene. But someone told me it's not very nice in 3d - so go figure.

The storyline sticks to basic of the original story with a little Alice going to Wonderland and meeting the creatures in the novel. However, it twists with a catastrophe which needed an adult Alice to save them to fulfill the prophecy.

What I find interesting about the movie is that it was not as dark as I thought it'll be; being a Tim Burton's movie. I find that it's more suited for adults than children.

I like the way armory of the army of the Queen of hearts. It's interesting the way they look buffed up and card-ish. The other creatures are very reminiscent of most animations of Alice in Wonderland but little different darker taste. Oh yes, the Cheshire Cat looks a little creepy. Heh..

Cheshire Cat

One thing I don't like is Johnny Depp. Why? Well, I find that he's too associated with heavy make-up and fancy costume that I start to wonder, when was the last time I saw him looking more himself. When you mention Johnny Depp, the first thing you remember is his drag-queen outfit as the Captain Jack from Pirates of the Carribean (remember the black eyeliner?). Then there's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd and of course, who can forget Edward Scissorhands.

The Mad-Hatter

Captain Jack Sparrow

Sweeney Todd

Back to the story, I think Alice is a different kind of movie. Don't expect magical fairy tale movie but more of the adventure quest story. I think it's worth watching if you're a fan of Tim Burton but don't watch expecting a children's movie, okie? :)

No comments: