Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Batman

The latest Batman movie is called the Dark Knight.

When I saw the teasers and advertisement, I noticed it was rather creepy especially the make-up of the Joker (Heath Ledger). I always remember the big grinning face of Jack Nicholson in the Batman movie (1989) which was directed by Tim Burton.
I thought to myself, "How can this creepy looking Joker be more interesting than Jack Nicholson's?"

Well, for starters, Ledger's portrayal of the Joker really amazed me. I still have his young, handsome-clean image and voice from his character in movie Casanova superimposed in my mind. Therefore, when he started speaking as the Joker, I was thinking like, "He doesn't sound like this. Oohhh that's interesting."
After a while, his scary makeup with the gory story of why he is called the Joker didn't seemed to matter. I was intrigued by how he manipulated and twisted the storyline.

Basically, this movie was set in a darker tone. In fact, Batman is seen as the criminal in this dark city. The setting feels a little morbid and sad. However, this is the tone that set it aparts from the other Batman movies.

I have to admit. I think the Joker stole the show. I was more intrigued in seeing the Joker and of course, the part where the heavily-armoured batmobile spun out into a batpod before it destroyed itself. Or was it later on during? Watch it for yourself!
Perhaps, the death of the actor, Heath Ledger might have something to do with this shift of attention to the Joker but his acting proves that he earns this attention.

Whatever it is, it has been a long time since I started enjoying movies again. Well, done! In my humble opinion, it's a definite much-watch movie and not any keluang-man show. ;)

And I end with the catch-phrase, "Why so serious... go watch the movie!!"

No comments: