Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cross

What does the “cross” mean to me?

I can always remember the pastor telling us the danger of being obsessed with the image of a cross; as if it is a magical cross whereby we can use it to ward off evil spirits with a “boo”! The best example is the killing of the vampire with the stake.
That example is showing the danger of idolising the symbol of the “cross”. Even clinging to the cross wearing around your neck in hopes it will protect you is not encouraged. We are not supposed to be attached to any symbolism.

After all, we should be confident in God’s presence and protection all the time without the literal need of an object of protection or a protective covering around us like Bubble Boy.
To me and to most Christians, we see the cross as a symbol of our salvation. It is the symbol signifying the cross where Jesus Christ was crucified for our sins. Why?

Well, it is a simple reason. It is because God loved us so much that he was willing to send his only begotten son to die on the cross to atone for our sins (those done and those we are going to do).

Yes, I admit I know how to easily type and quote that but the most important thing is how that image and thought means to you deep down in your heart. I am always moved when I hear this song, "At the cross". It best described how I feel when I “see the cross”. I love the ending of the song which uses the term, "my friend" - showing how God is to us; our friend and relatable.

And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I’m humbled by your mercy and I’m broken inside
Once again I thank you
Once again I pour out my life

Thank you for the cross
Thank you for the cross
Thank you for the cross, my friend




Another spirit-filled song by Hillsong entitled, "At the cross". Listen to the lyrics.


Imagine this:

You look at the cross and you remember Jesus was tortured as he was crucified. Yet, he cried out to Father God and ask forgiveness for us when the people was going to crucify him.
'Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.' (Luke 23:34)

I feel like giving our Father a hug for this gift of salvation.... for Thank You for the cross, my friend.

No comments: