Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Food Review: The Uma Balinese Restaurant

I have to admit, this will be brief as I was there after a whole day's work on Saturday! So all I could think of was.. foooooddd!! ;) Means I just gobble gobble... like a turkey.. hah!

We were celebrating our dear Alice's birthday and this place was highly recommended by her mother (which is a big deal as she is particular about food)

The Uma Balinese Restaurant

We found this place after rounding the area for a while. It is the same row as the furniture shops, a Nikon academy, etc. The Uma proves to be a small quaint little cosy place with yummy food and a nice environment to catch up with friends. We were early and snacked on this pork satay before the birthday girl arrives.

Sate Celeng Asem (Assam Pork Satay)

The typical satay would be dainty and juicy. I personally find chicken Kajang Satay too huge and dry. This assam pork satay was super-yummilicious! The tenderness of the meat with its succulent marinated sauce makes it just right to eat without any gravy. In fact, it is clearly stated in the menu that this is eaten without any sauce but you can request for the chilli sauce (which is out of the bottle).

My friend C thought the chilli was something special and specifically requested for the sauce. The owner patiently explained that it is a normal chilli sauce out of the bottle. Lol

We, 4 girls shared 3 sets of the following and could barely finish it:

1. BEBEK MEGORENG Crispy Fried Duck

Each set is served with different kind of rice which suits the main dish and different vegetables with a fish satay. Crispy Fried Duck is served with a fragrant rice with raisin. There is the non-spicy chilli, fried onions, kangkung, some other vegie and another side dish. Look at the picture. I forgot what it was now.  The duck is fried crispy and not too hard with crunchy skin and meat.

Bebe Megoreng (Crispy Fried Duck)

2. BE CELENG BASE MANIS Babi Kecap Manis
Like its name, the pork is served in a dark sweet sauce. The meat again is tender and sweet. Somehow, I prefer the Pork Satay too this. Lol. But it's nice still the same in a different style.

*opps... will upload the picture later*

3. LEMPET BE TONGKONG (Grilled Tuna in banana leaf)

This was the birthday girl's choice. At first taste, the steamed tuna might remind you of Otah-otah (steamed fish/prawn in coconut milk with sambal). But it was more on the milder side with more tuna-ish taste. Still nice for those who are afraid of spicy food.

Lempet Be Tongkong (Grilled Tuna in banana leaf)

Alas, was too busy eating to take picture of my drinks! I remembered I tried something unique which was not too sour for a fresh fruit drink. ;)

The location
No 7-G ; 7-1, Jalan PJU 5/21
The Strand, Kota Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, SELANGOR
03-6142-2771
 
Opening hours:
Lunch : 12pm – 3pm
Dinner : 6pm – 10pm
Closed On Tuesday

If you're up for some non-halal satay and something reminiscence of ayam penyet, do drop by and try The Uma. (I'd better try their fried chicken one day too! ;) 

Other reviews worth checking out: 
what2seeonline

3 comments:

Sherry Go Sharing said...

no price list? I dont know the cost as my dear usually want know how much.

PiggiYing said...

soory Sherry... my receipt is not with me.. and I couldn't remember the exact price. Check out the other reviews by others I've linked to if you need to know the prices.

Jeff said...

Hi, although your review is already a year ago, but I find it informative. Hope you can share it with our community at RestaurantsMalaysia.net and give your honest review and rating on The Uma. Thanks