Thursday, June 07, 2012

Reluctant Trekkie

Seriously, I have to admit... I know who is the Klingons, Vulcans, Borg, Patrick Steward as Captain Jean Luc-Picard (not as Professor X of X-Men) and even William Shatner as Captain Kirk (remember him as the guy from "Rescue 911" - a story for another time.)

Hence,  yesterday morning, when I heard on the radio that they mentioned yesterday in 1984, the movie "Star Trek: The Search for Spock" was a top selling movie, old memories came back.

How I became a trekkie - albeit a reluctant one?

Growing up with brothers, we used to watch Star Trek:The Next Generation series. Since there was only one TV, I just went along and watch with them. I think we stopped watching at Star Trek:Voyager with Captain Janeway.

 USS Enterprise... will always be my imagination of a starship

Thinking back, you have to always give credits to the creator, Roddenberry to imagine the following: (similar to Tolkien the author to the book Lord of the Rings)


 Chronology of overall series (taken from wikipedia)

1. Plot
2. Characters
3. Background
4. Own language for each own "race"/species i.e. Klingon language/ Klingonese created by John M.Ford with Klingon Dictionary being sold!
 5. Own culture for each own "race"/species

What I've learned?


From this series - I learn bout famous actors: William Shatner, Patrick Steward, Leonard Nimoy (love him as Spock - a bit not used to the "new Spock"-Zachary Quinto who remains as the bad guy, Sylar of the series Heroes.
 Original Spock By Leonard Nimoy vs new Spock by Zachary Quinto


I learned about famous peace sign used by the Vulcan that means "We come in peace".

I learned about famous lines like "Beam me up, Scotty".

I learned about a sci-fiction scenario in space with self-sustainable and self-sufficient spaceship travelling in light years; learning about different solar systems and species.

I learn Vulcans have no feelings and cannot smile because they live by reason and logic but have telepathy capabilites.

I learn there are trekkie fans with the costumes and com badge.

But most importantly, I learn to like sci-fi shows and also believe the phrase that we humans, will boldly go where no man has gone before like the opening like of TNG series:

"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyagers of the Starship Enterprise...." (memorised by heart!) Lol




No comments: